Wednesday, December 4, 2013

If I can do it, you can do it too

Maria Kang posted this picture of herself on Facebook.
She received a number of negative responses as described in this Yahoo article
“I wanted to inspire people,” she explains, adding that the “What’s your excuse?” part was simply a borrowed, popular phrase that’s been used in various “fitspiration” campaigns. “I wanted to say, ‘I know you think you don’t have time if you have kids. But if I can do it, you can do it, too.’” 
***

"If I can do it, you can do it too."
In other words, you and I are exactly alike in body, mind, and spirit.  We value the same things and have the same physical abilities.  Since I did it - you're a lock to be able to do it.

"If I can do it, you can do it too."
In other words I've awarded myself the award for laziest (or, fill in your own bad habit here) person in the world, so if the laziest person in the world can do it, it will be easy for you.

"If I can do it, you can do it too."
In other words, I've got all these obstacles and I managed to do it.  Your obstacles can't be worse than mine, so you can do what I've done.

Is there any scenario in which "If I can do it, you can do it too" is an okay way to encourage someone.

How about just saying "I support you"

No comments: