Sunday, August 18, 2013

Orange is the New Black

I spent 13 hours this weekend watching all episodes of "Orange is the New Black" on Netflix.
Why?
'Cause it was good, that's why!
(I managed to take a couple walks as well, so it wasn't all couch potato time)

Love all the characters, the acting is fantastic, interesting setting, nice blend of comedy and drama.  Great show.  I'd like to tell you about the character/cast standouts, but they're all really great.
I like every character...except the male guards/counselors - and I'm not supposed to like them!

I'll note Kate Mulgrew because I've been watching her from Mary Ryan on "Ryan's Hope" to Mrs. Columbo, to Star Trek Voyager.

I also like Uzo Aduba as Crazy Eyes
Her character's real name is Suzanne, but everyone calls her Crazy Eyes. She's very intense and straight forward so she seems childlike sometimes.  But, she can be threatening, sexually provocative, and aggressive as well..  "You don't want to see me when I'm angry", she says.

And now that I've named two I feel guilty for not naming all of them.
But wait, there's more!
The characters in Piper's home life are good too (Piper's the main character).  I want to dislike her best friend because she's too sassy and hip and rich.  But, the writing (and acting, of course) are keeping her balanced; I DO like her!

On the more dramatic side, there's a lot of story to tell, about the personal lives of the women, and the prison system in our country today.
I recently heard the US imprisons more people than any other country in the world.  I don't think they limited it to the 'western' world, but ALL the world - even our nation's enemies don't have as many prisoners as we do.

I hope the success and praise the show is receiving won't cause too much stress for the creator.  I've seen it happen many times to shows I love - they get a lot of buzz and suddenly the show turns into cardboard mush; generic story, plot without motivation.  Ugh.

Bah I'm getting all negative about the future when I've only just finished watching and loving the show!
It's worth checking out on Netflix.  Do it!


No comments: