Thursday, July 18, 2013

Mandela Day 2013


The first Mandela Day was in 2009, when Nelson Mandela was 91 years old. 
I heard about Nelson Mandela for the first time when he was in a South African prison. I heard a song on the radio - the only words were "Free-ee-ee Nelson Man-del-a" sung over and over.  I still hear the tune in my head.  
I must have started hearing his name more and more on the news.  I clued into it because I recognized his name from the song.

I recall the day he was freed from prison.  They broadcast it live.  I remember he walked out of the prison and down a long road lined with people cheering him.

And then everything started moving very fast in South Africa.  He became president, there was a Truth and Reconciliation council, there was scandal in the African National Congress (that was the name, right?)
I can't imagine what a strange time that must have been.  The whole South African society was changing.  

What must it be like to be this man?
How has he managed to inspire the world?  
I imagine he's fairly ordinary in many ways - even now there's bickering among his extended family and there have been some scandals (right?).

I don't know much about him.  

Courage.
He stood up against the state and wore them down.  
And then, he didn't seek revenge.  He moved forward.
Just like Gandhi.


Updated 7/21/2013 - I did the a small amount of Google research which reveals Mandela did end up advocating violence after years of nonviolence.  He was imprisoned for the violence.  So, not Ghandhi.  But, in any event - a remarkable, courageous life.

No comments: