Thursday, July 11, 2013

Hollywood Game Night


I had high hopes for this show.  I like games.  I like to watch people play games.  I like to guess along while people on TV play games. 
I still like the idea of the show.  But, it's execution is making it less appealing.  
1.  Two teams competing...3 celebrities and a contestant on each team.
They sit on couches facing each other.  In the middle, is Jane Lynch, host.  And, at the end of each couch, a buzzer.  Problem:  Not all the celebrities care about the game.  It's annoying.
2.  Games on the pilot episode:  Crunch Time (name the snack item in the picture).  Really?  Take a Hint (one word clues to guess the person, place, or thing) I like it, if only people understood how to play.  Lil Picassos (children draw pictures of celebrities - name the celebrity).  Okay.  Timeline (put 6 pictures of one celebrity in order from earliest to latest).  Pretty fun - and only one celebrity had to get up off the couch.  And finally, Charade.  Fast moving.  Pretty good.   Bonus round was good.
3.  To play, one member of each team faces off for one question.  Then, another face-off with two other people.  And so on.  8 questions.  Each person has two questions, but not consecutively...they go through all four people and start over again for the second question.  So, for every exchange the celebrity has to get up off the couch (which is sunk pretty low so it's awkward to get up), walk up to the middle and around the buzzer podium so they're facing each other.  After ONE question, they go back around and back to the couch, inevitably bumping into the next two who are going up to the podium.  What a time waster.  And awkward and boring and uncomfortable.  I suspect they hope for crazy hijinks and interactions while they're switching places.  I'd rather watch people actually play a game.  They could set the stage up different and make the game a little more difficult. 
I just don't think it's fun to watch people not play a game. 
4.  I love Jane Lynch, but I wish she'd tone it down a bit.

I'll keep watching since it's already on my TIVO, I really like games, and maybe it will get better.  I know a lot of the Hollywood crowd like to play games so some of them are smart and ready to play.  And others?  Not so much.  Just hammy.  Ugh.

I'm reminded of the old Bert Convy show called "Win, Lose, or Draw".  
It's Pictionary with celebrities.  Lots of action.  Fun.  






No comments: