Saturday, November 3, 2012

How I voted: Election Day, November 6, 2012


Have you seen this video?  Cute.  We all agree.

I'm about to fill out my ballot.
I don't mind writing how I'm going to vote.
It's easier to vote on issues.
It's hard to know inside a candidate's heart.
I try to vote for who I think will tend to vote the way I would vote. I vote for the kind of world I want to live in. I don't expect miracles or that everything will go my way. I just want to tip the balance with my vote.

***

Initiative 1185 - tax and fee increases imposed by state goverment must be approved by two-thirds legislative majorities or receive voter approval, and new or increased fees require majority legislative approval.
I vote No. The people who support this measure want a small government by ideology, not by reasoned governance. A 2/3 majority means most increases won't pass. Sometimes a tax or fee increase is warranted. Rather than majority rule, the minority wins...1/3 + 1 will dictate the financial fate of the state.
Update:  I think I misunderstood this one...we might already have a 2/3 requirement and the only thing changing is the wording.

Initiative 1240 - authorization of up to forty publicly-funded charter schools.
I vote No. This is the classic solution to a problem: don't fix it, just build something else. If the same energy and effort were put into fixing the public school system as it currently stands, we would have excellent schools. The main thing this initiative would accomplish is to bust the teacher's union. I think a public school system - where all students have access to a good education - is fundamental to the survival of our country. And, if people suggest that the charter schools won't do anything different than that, then I ask...why do it then? We already have a system - fix it.

Referendum Measure 74 - allow same sex couples to marry, preserve domestic partnerships only for seniors, and preserve the right of clergy or religious organizations to refuse to perform, recognize, or accommodate any marriage ceremony.
I vote Yes. Of course. I'm glad to have the opportunity to vote on this. Arguments against this referendum don't have validity, in my opinion.

Initiative Measure 502 - license and regulate marijuana production, distribution, and possession for persons over twenty-one, remove state-law criminal and civil penalties for activities that it authorizes, tax marijuana sales, and earmark marijuana related revenues.
I vote No. I am somewhat persuaded by the tax revenue argument, and the police resources argument. But, I'm concerned that because this goes against federal law, the state will be forced into a lawsuit from the US government. I'm also concerned about what it means for people who use it; we have so much trouble with people who drink too much, I worry the same will happen with marijuana. I don't think humans handle mind altering drugs very well. With legalization, we give some of the criminal organizations a legal cover for their illegal drug activities. I just don't think this is a good idea. I feel like voting No makes me an old fuddy duddy, and not 'chill', which I think I am otherwise. I suspect many of the people I know would vote yes.

Resolution No 8221 - decrease the debt limit from the current 9% of general state revenue, to 8.5 in 2014, 8.25 in 2016, and 8 in 2034. The percent of general state revenue would be calculated using the last 6 years, instead of 3 years. And state property taxes would be included in the general state revenues starting in 2014.
I vote to Approve. Increasing the number of years included in the general state revenue calculation (from 3 to 6) seems like it would give us a more balanced debt limit; smooth out the curve. The amendment does not affect the statute that says state property taxes are for schools. It only includes the property tax in the calculation of general state revenue. I think the net effect might be minimal because although the rate will go down over time, the amount included in the calculation will increase.

Resolution 8223 - public funds of the UW and WSU can be invested in private stocks and bonds.
I vote to Approve. I don't really think this is a good idea. It doesn't make sense to 'gamble' with public money given to the universites. What if they have bad money managers? What if the stock market crashes? Then we're in the same boat we're in now that they think this will solve: not enough money to run the university. And what about the corporate influence in the university? Couldn't that be compromised? I'm only voting for this because I want universities to have money, Bill Gates is supporting the resolution, other state institutions are doing it, and I trust that the leaders of the university know what they're doing. I hope I don't regret this.

Advisory Votes 1 and 2 - legislature extended the expiration of one tax on possession of petroleum products and eliminated a business and occupation tax deduction.
I vote to Maintain the changes - It sounds like it affects the oil companies who make plenty of profit and can afford it, and financial institutions who also make plenty of profit.

King County Prop 1 - tax levy for automatied fingerprint identification system
I vote Yes - It's worth paying for.

President and Vice President
I vote for Barack Obama and Joe Biden. I think he should have time to make his policies work. I don't agree with everything he did (or will do), but I trust that he will lean toward my way of thinking. I value the role of government in our society to create a stable and fair and safe economic system. I believe the government should help us make sure everyone has at least a minimum standard of housing, health, education, and food. I also believe that our government should not endorse a religious belief. I think infrastructure, the environment, education, and R&D should be priorities of our country and the government can play a role in supporting those priorities.

And the rest...Maria Cantwell, Adam Smith, Jay Inslee, Brad Owen, Kathleen Drew, Jim McIntire, Troy Kelley, Bob Ferguson, Peter J Goldmark, Randy I Dorn, Mike Kreidler, Maureen Judge, Marcie Maxwell, Judy Clibborn, John Urquhart, Susan Owens Steve Gonzalez, Sheryl Gordon-McCloud, Ronald E Cox, Martin Appelwick, and Christopher A Washington.

No comments: