Sunday, December 11, 2011

Republican Candidates

Left to right...Rick Santorum, Rick Perry, Mitt Romney, Newt Gingrich, Ron Paul, Michelle Bachman

My first thought is that this is a joke, right?  I don't agree with the governing ideas of any of these candidates so I'm not going to vote for them.  I'm a bystander in this battle.  
But, a combination of performance and/or policies make this seem like an extraordinarily goofy slate of candidates.
Rick Santorum - too socially conservative to be a viable general election candidate.
Rick Perry - Bumbling, not very smart, doesn't know what's going on.
Mitt Romney - he doesn't mind winning by default.  That's what I want - a president who wanted to be president so bad he doesn't even care that no one has a good reason to vote for him.
Newt Gingrich - he's a hothead.
Ron Paul - he wants to be in charge of a government that doesn't do anything.  That's crazy.
Michelle Bachman - Same as Santorum; she's too socially conservative to be a viable general election candidate.

This would be even more of a joke if Herman Cain hadn't suspended his campaign last week.

It's all very surreal because I'd like to believe the President will represent the American values of a diverse religious and cultural citizenry where everyone gets a fair shake.
I don't think these candidates will.

No comments: