Thursday, August 11, 2011

Another Republican I won't vote for...

Mitt Romney says...
Corporations are people, my friend... of course they are. Everything corporations earn ultimately goes to the people. Where do you think it goes? Whose pockets? Whose pockets? People's pockets. Human beings my friend.
I understand what I think he's trying to say; while corporations pay less taxes, those benefits flow to the people who own the corporation - stockholders.  Stockholders can include pension programs and 401K programs for regular folk, like you and me.

Aargh.

1.  "My friend"...?  That sounds so folksy it's condescending.
2.  Corporations are NOT people.  That's a dangerous idea for our political system and led to the Supreme Court ruling that allows corporations to participate in elections as if they're a person.  The idea is that since corporations pay taxes, they should be represented - no taxation without representation, right?  Ugh - that's a twisted perversion of our democracy.

Which brings me to another comment I hear people making more often lately - whoever started it should be happy it's taking hold in the consciousness of people who understand quick sound bytes more easily than a complete argument.

IF OBAMA WERE IN CHARGE OF A COMPANY, HE'D BE FIRED FOR HOW HE'S DOING HIS JOB...or some such derivation.

AARGH!!!!!

The United States is NOT a profit making venture. 

To compare the United States to a corporation is to misunderstand completely the point of government.

Those rich people sure know how to manipulate ideas. 

No comments: