Friday, July 29, 2011

More on the Debt Limit Crisis


Two additional points -
Boehner is attempting to pass his legislation with Republicans only.  We don't hear him talking to any of the Democratic leaders in the House.
Instead of trying to satisfy the Tea Party Republicans, why doesn't he swing to the Democratic side?  There are "Blue Dog" Democrats who might be more easily appeased than the Tea Partiers. 
Why is he so intent on passing with Republican support only? 
It seems the moderate Republicans have as much in common with Tea Partiers as they do with Blue Dog Democrats, so why not build a coalition with the Blue Dogs instead?
He would pass his bill and setup the Democrats in the Senate to be the bad guys if they don't vote for it.

I imagine I wouldn't like whatever legislation he'd put together in that scenario, but I don't much like the Reid plan either.

*****

Next point, after thinking and talking about this problem and trying to come up with the core problem, I've decided it's complicated.  HA!  Of course it is.
But, at it's heart is the problem of competing world views that can't coexist.  It's not peculiar to the United States, it's in everyone's DNA, I think.
I've talked about that before - the people who live in fear (it's mine, I want it) and the more optimistic people (I'm willing to give a little bit more to have a government that works).
I guess with that description you can tell which side I'm on.

In any event, my new thought about this is that our Congress has used compromise for the last 50 years to get things done.  The surprise in this debt limit crisis is that the kind of compromise Congress has used isn't working anymore.  In Congress, compromise means I'll vote for your amendment to this bill if you vote for my amendment in this other bill.
Right?
They don't really compromise, they trade.

In trading, votes for votes, we end up starting new programs and spending lots of money, which is part of what got us in this mess. 

What if, instead of compromise meaning shared benefits (more programs and more spending) we floated the concept of compromise meaning shared sacrifice?

We can all sacrifice a little to share in the privilege of living and working in this great country.

Okay - done for now.
Hope this makes sense 10 years down the road when I look back on the 'good old days'.

No comments: