Sunday, May 1, 2011

Chilling

Tonight, Obama announced that Osama Bin Laden was killed by an American force attacking a compound 30 miles north of Islamabad, Pakistan. 
I was taken aback by the tone of the announcement.  Obama tied the successful completion of this ten year mission to the 'can-do' spirit of America. 
He said justice has been served. 
Outside the White House and at Ground Zero, Americans are gathering to chant U! S! A!.  U! S! A!.

I'm saddened that we find joy in the death of another human. 
Yes, Bin Laden deserved to pay a price for his years of terrorism; if a man chooses to live violently, he has to expect he may die violently as well.

I don't feel it's appropriate, though, to 'rally' the people, or affirm how great America is because we killed a man.
I don't like that we cheer the violent end of a violent man.

I don't like to feel we're at the same level as the terrorists or the people who support the terrorists.
(I remember seeing people in some parts of the Middle East celebrating the horror of 9/11.  They were glad Americans had died.
It was sickening to see.)

Since 9/11, more Americans died in the effort to punish Bin Laden.   

Now, Osama Bin Laden's just dead. 
No one comes back to life because Osama Bin Laden has died.
He's just dead and gone.

I only wish we wouldn't celebrate.

I wonder what the consequences will be?

No comments: