Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A Story for Today


A woman was walking down the street and fell into a deep hole.
The walls were steep and slippery, so try as she might, she was unable to free herself from her dilemma..

After a while, a doctor walked by.
The woman shouted up at him "Can you please help me?  I'm stuck in this hole and don't know what to do."
The doctor stopped to help.  He saw the woman was in the hole, wrote a prescription and reached his hand out to give it to her.  After she accepted it, he continued on his way.

Before too long a priest walked by.
The woman pleaded to the priest "Please, can you help me?  I'm stuck in this hole and I don't know how to get out."
The priest stopped at the edge of the hole to see the woman.  He reached out to hold her hand and began to pray.  She prayed with him.  After the prayer, the priest smiled lovingly at her and continued on his way.

Soon, one of the woman's good friends walked by.
In relief, the woman shouted out to her friend "Thank goodness it's you!  I'm in this hole and I need help getting out!!"

Without a thought, the friend jumped in the hole.

"Hey!" said the woman, "What'd you do that for?  Now, we're both stuck in here!!"

Her friend took her hand and smiled.  "Don't be afraid, I've been here before and I know the way out."


No comments: