Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Thinking about what's 'real'...

Recognizing Illusion.
There are moments, flashes of insight, that illumine the many layers of illusion each of us accepts in our lives.  It's hard to hold onto.  It's like living out of phase for just a moment, or when the holodeck image is destabilizing and you can see the room for what it really is - a big grid.  Sci-Fi and Star Trek fans will understand me, right?

The illusions of my life are 'rules' I accept without questioning.

How many 'rules' do I instinctively accept that I don't even know enough to wonder about?
I live a life of illusion because I accept 'rules' as my reality.

I believe that instead of 'rules', we are making choices.  Powerful choices.
We have chosen to follow the 'rule', we aren't required to.
Rules are an illusion.  Choices are not.

***

Many of our hidden, illusory 'rules' come from growing up in our society/culture, but I wonder if there's another layer of 'rule' illusion that if we were to discard it, would result in an evolution of our species?
It seems far-fetched and crazy, I know.  (Or is that judgment an illusion itself?).

No comments: