Saturday, December 5, 2009

Whoops - I did it again!


At the end of a long Friday work day, I wanted nothing more than to go home and relax.  Instead, my car wouldn't start.  Luckily, people were still at the office so help was at hand.  MTF's husband looked under the hood and we discovered the most battery corrosion he'd ever seen - ever.  He took me to Enterprise so I'd have transportation for the weekend.  Friday night I went shopping and spent more money.   This morning, I arranged for a tow truck to get my car from the office to the service department at my dealer.  I spoke to the mechanic and he said he'd call me later to tell me what the price will be.  I went shopping and spent a bunch of money.
I just got a call from the mechanic and he said its the most battery corrosion he's ever seen - ever.  And, the oil level was quite low.  He tried to politely say I'd not been taking very good care of the car.
Fair enough.

Here's what I'd like to say about this experience:
1.  I expected the car to show some signs of distress that would give me a clue there was a problem.  The fact that it just stopped working one day is disconcerting.


Along the same lines, I expect my body to show signs of distress to give me a clue there's a problem as well.  I hope it doesn't just decide to quit working on me one day.


My lesson is that I need to eat more fruits and vegetables, and make sure my car has the equivalent of more fruits and vegetables.

2.  Did I win the lottery?  I've been on a spending spree of late.  I'm out of control.  I'm grateful to have a job and the means to take care of myself.  I'd hate to blow it on a few months of overspending.
Could I be reacting without awareness to the release of anxiety because the economy MIGHT be on an upswing?  The key to the question is "without awareness".  I'm spending money emotionally.
I will stop.
It was much easier when I worked from home and I wasn't 'in the marketplace'.
I'll do better because I choose to be financially secure.
Besides, I think I've bought everything I could need.  I tend to buy electronics and books and DVD's.  I have enough of all of it to last me a good long time.
Except I'm going to buy Season Five of 'Lost' on Tuesday.
Then, I'll be done.
Oh - and I might need a couple more gifts for my niece and nephew for Christmas.
Then, I'll really be done.
Really.

No comments: