Friday, November 27, 2009

Yay - I finished!







I completed NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) last night!  Final word count 50,587!

Here is what I learned:
1.  I can finish something.
2.  I don't want to write a novel.  Not now.  Maybe someday.  Not now.
3.  Keep my fingers flying - over the keyboard.  If a sentence doesn't sound right, type it over and over making small word adjustments here and there until the truth of what I'm trying to say is reflected in the sentence.
4.  I use pronouns way too much.  'It's' is my favorite word.  Blech.  Substitute for the more descriptive detail, or change the sentence structure entirely.  This tip works well in conjunction with #3.
5.  I may continue writing a stream of consciousness journal because it helps me find the core of truth related to whatever wacky idea is rumbling around in my head at the moment.  However, writing 50000 words in one month leads to a lot of repetition and emptiness.  I'll consider 30000 words a month, with an option to change it whenever and however I want.

I'm glad I started NaNoWriMo, I'm glad I finished NaNoWriMo.

No comments: