Thursday, October 29, 2009

Ragtime at the Portland Center Stage


I saw "Ragtime" at Portland Center Stage tonight.  I only had the vaguest idea before the play what it might be about - something about early race relations.  When I found out I was going, I decided to learn nothing more about the play and walk into it without any preconceptions.
I did hear it was a long play though and became concerned that I'd be so tired I couldn't stay awake for the whole play.
I had nothing to fear.
The play is about the confluence of new immigrants, African Americans, and wealthy white people at the turn of the 20th century.  Its based on an E L Doctorow story.

My thoughts...
First, the play was done on a nearly bare stage, which I thought worked.  There were so many different scene locations, if they'd used a fully decorated set...well, that sounds like a lot of scene changing and kerfuffle when the songs are the star of the play and are showcased beautifully without anything but the actors.
Second, the play was staged and choreographed well.  Some of the songs had creative and fun movements, particularly "The Crime of the Century" and "Henry Ford". 
Third, the play didn't even seem like it took 2 hours and 50 minutes.  I thought time would crawl by.  That was not the case at all.
Fourth, I was blown away by the clarity and the strength of the actor's singing voices.  What a gift.  I wish I could sing.  It was quite stunning. 
Fifth, I liked how most of the actors played multiple parts.

How fortunate am I to have seen an outstanding live performance?  Very fortunate indeed.

No comments: