Saturday, October 10, 2009

Links of Interest to Me




Style of discourse has replaced civil discussion as the main point of 'debating' an issue.  The issue itself isn't discussed because the style is so outrageous.  I guess that's how conmen distract us from what they don't want us to think about.

A.  I'm emotionally overwhelmed and nearly brought to tears when I read or see or think about people who are forced to unexpectedly confront the end of their lives.  B.  Integrity means doing the right thing even when its inconvenient.

My next attempt to test my powers of perseverence.  I have no ideas and not a huge desire to write a novel.  I used to like the idea of creating fiction with meaning, but got frustrated by how unoriginal my thoughts are.  I'm doing this not for the novel, but because I like the idea of learning to focus, persevere, and get something (anything) finally accomplished.  In this case, nobody has to see the novel so I don't have to live up to anyone's expectations.

ScotusBlog and CSpan and SupremeCourtus.gov
The Supreme Court started their term last Monday.  Time to start paying attention!

The Pioneer Woman - Ree Drummond - My Prayer
I like how she describes the strange ways life moves on and life changes and life stops - all at the same time - when a loved one dies.
On the day my father died, I remember driving in the car and looking at other drivers around me.  I marvelled at how odd it was that not only were they not changed by my father's death, but they didn't even notice that I'd been changed either.
Today, somebody's Dad has died and I could be sitting right next to them.  They're looking at me the same way I did on that day in 1984.
The best we can do for each other is have compassion and patience for the journey we're embarking on - the adjustment and transitions of grief.
The Pioneer Woman says it better than I.

Ricky Gervais interviews Larry David (part I of VI)
Two reasons this is good...1)  Its funny to watch both of these people individually, I have high expectations that it will be laughs a' plenty watching them together.  2)  They had a clip from the episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm show where Larry opens a restaurant.  I remember it being funny when I originally saw it, but it really struck me as HIGH-LARE-EE-US just now. WARNING - there is language some may find offensive (especially in the clip from CYE)

Letters of Note.
Letters both historic and interesting. Its a glimpse into a moment.

From 10/11/09 Oregonian:  Margie Boule's column about the blog Things You Would Have Said, and the story of Rancher Joe
When I was still a young teenager, an acquaintance's father died unexpectedly. My mother was also acquainted with the man's wife. My mother told me that the husband and wife had a fight before he left that morning. And then he died.
I took that story to heart. I make it a point to tell people what they mean to me during the regular, ordinary times (sometimes to their annoyance!). I don't want things to go unsaid, even if the only reason we lose touch is because I change jobs.
The website collects letters people would write if they could now say what they wish they had said.
The story of Rancher Joe Fitzgerald struck me because I read the story wanting to pay tribute to an older gentleman who's worked his whole life in a tough business and has now been hit by the economic times. He doesn't live my lifestyle and probably doesn't agree with many of my political or life philosophies. But, he's 76 years old and it seems sad that he has to worry about money after all these years of hard work. And I'm interested by the fact that he and his wife live what sounds like a really hardscrabble life, but they must find some happiness in it (right?).
It was surprising, then, to read the few comments that seemed like an Old West range war...the farmers vs the cattle ranchers. Except now its environmentalists vs farmers vs cattle ranchers. And the name calling continues. It was sad.

Gary Yonge's column from The Nation: Obama and the Decline of White America
The only part of this column I disagree with is that not all White Americans are afraid. For many people, the separation between races is not as visible as the separation between economic classes, which cuts across all racial distinctions. Diversity breeds economic health. Part of the reason we have the economic problems we do is because we have companies 'too big to fail'. Small businesses are swallowed up by Wal-Marts. Every strip mall looks the same across America. We could use a little diversity and regional distinctions. Let's appreciate each other's differences and value each of us equally.

No comments: