Saturday, August 29, 2009

Oy Ve, its a long play!

Today MTF invited me to see the Farewell Tour of Topol in Fiddler on the Roof.
The play started at 2:00, I was in my car to go home at 5:15.  The first intermission was at 3:45!  That's pretty long, right? 

Anyhoo...it was a good play.  I've never seen Fiddler on the Roof - movie or play version.  I'm familiar with some of the music, of course, by virtue of being alive at the right time.  But, I never quite knew the story.

Tevye is the Jewish father of five daughters in turn of the century (20th century) Russia.  Its the story of Tradition and Life and change and surviving. 
I expected Tevye to be a little more energetic and not so downtrodden.  But, there you are.  "If I were a Rich Man" wasn't as rousing as I'd expected...I thought he'd be so into the fantasy of being rich he'd be overjoyed and have a lot of energy.  But, he didn't.  It was melancholy.

Clearly my expectation of the story was incorrect. 
Fiddler on the Roof is NOT a musical comedy.  Its got some laughs and songs, but its a serious story about how the world changes and how people change in the world.  And its about what it means to 'have people'...is it more important to be faithful to your people or yourself?

What evoked the most emotion in me was that Topol is an Israeli actor in a play so very much about the Jewish story.  I suspect he feels a great deal of responsibility to the story.   Its especially moving at the end when they're told to leave their home town of Anatevka in three days for no other reason than they're Jewish.

The play ends with the family beginning a journey to America. 

An AHA! moment of the play for me was when Tevye is complaining to God and asking him why his horse has gone lame again, and why does Tevye have to pull the milkcart around all the time just like the horse would.  As he looks up he hears God answer and he says "Oh, you're right, I could PUSH"
Its all a matter of perspective, right? 
And you really have to be a little more clever when you're complaining to God. 

I'm glad I've seen the play.   Since Topol also played Tevye in the 1971 film version of Fiddler on the Roof, I look forward to seeing how the two characterizations differ, if at all.  I thought his voice was very strong. 

What else did I like?  The sets and Russian dancing,

That's my review of Topol in Fiddler on the Roof put on by Broadway Across America!  Thanks MTF!

No comments: