Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Breaking News


"We interrupt this broadcast..."

That used to mean something. My heart would beat a little faster when that announcement came on the TV.

In recent years however...

The news media have lost sight of what Breaking News is. I define it as an ongoing news story that affects so many people it can't wait until the next scheduled news broadcast.
Today's news media define Breaking News as anything that has already happened, anywhere, that makes the media feel relevant.
This morning, MSNBC called a helicopter crash in Georgia that hurt two people Breaking News. It may be news, especially in Georgia, and in the context of the larger air safety issue, but I wouldn't call it Breaking News.

And, when a reporter reports "Live from the Newsroom"...well, that's just so ridiculous I can't even spend a moment to describe its ridiculousness.

We can't trust the mainstream news media anymore. Its hard to tell the real news outlets from the tabloids and corporate schills. I don't want to get all my information from the extreme left and extreme right. That's what's useful about mainstream media. They've let us down.

I believe individually, there are many who want to be great journalists and who take their responsibility seriously. I'll do what I can to help get their message out.

1 comment:

John said...

Your post makes me glad I don't watch the news. I can't stand any of it.