Sunday, May 31, 2009

Food cravings

There was a time when rich, greasy food didn't make me queasy. I could eat fried foods and chips and cookies and candy bars and chocolate like nobody's business: Starburst, Kit Kats, Twix, cookies, Rocky Road ice cream, BLT's, hamburgers, french fries, chips, Cheetos and M&M's. The list goes on.


Tonight I'm reminded of Godfather's Canadian Bacon and Pineapple pizza which I would order with extra beef and extra cheese. Oh man - chewy, greasy goodness with a hint of smoky saltiness from the Canadian Bacon and a refreshing pineapple in nearly every bite. Mmm-mmm-good. Just as good day two after a few minutes in the microwave. And day three even.
(The picture above is only a close approximation of the pizza I used to eat. This is the Super Hawaiian. My pizza didn't have anything except cheese and extra cheese, beef and extra beef, Canadian Bacon, and Pineapple)



I'm also having a flashback to my days of eating at Burgermaster in Bellevue, WA on Northrup. It was on my way home from work. I L O V E D the bacon-lettuce-and tomato sandwich. The greasy bread was not overly greasy, the bacon was crispy and the lettuce and tomato were fresh. I'd also order a large fries and four tartar sauce. I bought the fries so I'd have something to put the tartar sauce on. I thought they used the best tartar sauce. Mouthwateringly tangy, but with a touch of sweetness as I recall.
On Fridays I might order double of everything and eat both the fries and one of the sandwiches in the evening. I'd have the second sandwich the next day because even after a night in the fridge it was still the best BLT I ever had.
(Again, the picture is only a close approximation. This one looks like the bread was toasted; Burgermaster grills the bread like on a grilled cheese sandwich. Also, no tartar sauce. The thing this picture gets right is the way the sandwich is stuffed with bacon!)

Strangely, I didn't gain weight. I was younger then, and I smoked cigarettes so it must have negated all the caloric intake.

Sadly in my mid-40's I suffered too much to continue eating greasy, fatty food.

Now, I think about my old favorites and sigh.

No comments: