Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Today's comment to Obama should have gone to Timothy Geithner


Dear President Obama,
I would have written directly to Timothy Geithner but the Treasury Department website doesn't have a comments section like this.

I watched Secretary Geithner on the Newshour with Jim Lehrer this evening. I was concerned to hear him say that the course you are following is definitely the right course and it definitely will work.

While I support you 100%, I've heard a lot of reputable economists with all kinds of ideas from one end of the spectrum to the other.

I think its irresponsible to presume to know exactly which program is going to work with certainty, especially when we're in an unprecedented crisis and the Republicans are determined to stick with their 'no/low' tax mantra. .

I'm happy to support every effort I know you're making because we can't know what will really work until we try something.

But, I'd like to feel confident that if things aren't working, your team has the mindset that we can change direction and try something else.

Given that, I don't think you or Secretary Geithner should imply that you know the exact right solution. People will appreciate knowing you're trying what you think is the BEST solution.

By the way, I think you did a smashing job in last night's speech. As I always say when I write a comment here, I'm very proud of you!!

All the best to you and your family

No comments: