Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Obama speaks to the nation...


See and hear Obama's 02/24/2009 Presidential Address to a Joint Session of Congress on C-SPAN, here)
Don't miss the Republican response from Louisiana governor Bobby Jindal, here

My reaction:
1. Positive. I appreciate the tightrope Obama's trying to walk; solve immediate problems without forgetting long term problems.
2. He speaks truth. He's not afraid to tell the American people we were part of the problem as well. I appreciate his forthrightness.
3. He was clear about his focus - stimulus and bank stabilization, along with health care, education, and energy independence.
4. I wish he didn't feel beholden to save old institutions. Sometimes old institutions need to be replaced by new ones. Our current political climate wouldn't allow it, though. Big institutions = big money people. Big money people wouldn't stand for drastic change in our economic system.
5. I can't think of any complaints I have. What are the details? Even if I know details, will I know that to be a correct or incorrect solution? No - nobody does. Economists with good reputations on both sides can't agree on what will work. I can only wait and see and keep positive and not panic.

Bobby Jindal's speech on the other hand...wowza. Not a good night for Mr. Jindal. He reminded me of both Mister Rogers and Kenneth from 30 Rock.
He first point was that its great to see the first black president addressing a joint session of congress (as if he had anything to do with it; did he vote for Obama? I think not.) The Republicans need to stop sounding that horn. We're over it. I mean, its still a great and a wonderful accomplishment, but the point is that he's more than a black president, he'a a good president. He's been in office one month and we've seen and heard from him more than any president in memory. He's taking action, he's talking to the people, he's having summits, and sending his secreatary of state out into the world - he's making things happen. So, thank you for the gratuitous recognition of his skin color Mr. Jindal, but move on. Or are you going to comment on it for the next four years? 'Cause, everything Obama does as president will be as the first black president, you know.
The next thing that stands out for me in my recollection of Bobby Jindal's speech is his story about Katrina and the boats. Because a bureaucrat said they needed proof of insurance, etc to rescue people THAT'S the reason government is bad? Are you kidding me? The leap of logic is so fantastic I can't even muster a coherent argument against it. The one-dimensional argument that government is bad and should step out of the way of the hard working industrious Americans is so old and tired, I can't believe the Republicans still think they can use it. Why is it laughable? Because we're living through the results of government 'stepping out of the way'. The reality I see is that given a chance, a percentage of Americans will cheat their fellow Americans; they'll take what they can and walk away without a care in the world because, as Gordon Gekko said, 'Greed is good'. That's their world view and who cares about anyone else. Government out of the way means rich people take what they can and poor people be damned. That's the way I see it. And I don't mean to generalize because some poor people are cheaters and some rich people are philanthropic. Small-minded people come in all economic classes.
I also felt that although Jindal said the Republicans had a responsibility to support the president when they agreed and speak candidly and offer new solutions when they don't, he offered nothing new. He said the schools in New Orleans were rebuilt after Katrina because of charter schools and choice (or something), which, as I recall is also what Obama said. So, I'm not clear what choice the Republicans are offering. So, far all I hear them saying (over and over and over) is to cut taxes - that's their only known government philosophy.
(With a caveat that the religious right have added which makes the Republican motto "get government out of my way unless other people are offending my conservative Christian religious beliefs in which case government has a responsibility to intervene.")
Jindal's speech was a pale attempt to reflect the themes of Obama's speech - he spoke about the same things and essenially in the same order. Kind of stupid and a waste of time.

I see its much easier to rant about the negative than it is the positive. Negative emotion arouses more energy in me than positive, I guess. Sad. I'll work on it.

UPDATE 1: I didn't realize it, but apparently I'm far from the only one who heard Kenneth from 30 Rock. See Andrew Sullivan's blog here

UPDATE 2: Apprently Jindal "misspoke" when he described his Katrina story.

No comments: