Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Overused phrases I'm sick of

Two new phrases I've heard enough lately to notice...

'That being said...'
I first noticed this on "My House is Worth What?" But, lately, I've also seen it in print and on television. Too much. That being said, I say 'given that' a lot.

'sort of'
I hear print journalists, in particular, say this a lot when they're interviewed about a story. They get excited or something and everything is 'sort of' this and 'sort of' that. I've heard it on NPR and PRI and Slate Political Gabfest (I think). I love these journalists because they know the stories and I get a lot of context from them. I also realize they're talking about complicated issues without a script and they're used to writing instead of verbalizing the story. I don't think they even notice they're doing it. Its sort of bugging me!

Bonus overused word...
'czar'
I'm tired of hearing people from the media or government refer to an 'authority' or leader on some topic as the 'czar'. Czar? Car Czar? Drug Czar? Do we have to use words from Imperial Russia to describe someone? It really bugs me. I'd like to be the czar of overused phrases!

No comments: