Sunday, December 28, 2008

Babylon 5 - The Long Goodbye

I'm done with Babylon 5. I didn't watch the 5th season except the last two episodes. So, there were three goodbye episodes. One at the end of season 4 that showed what happened over the next 1, 100, and 1000 years. The second goodbye episode was the penultimate episode of season 5 which showed Sheridan and DeLenn leaving Babylon 5 and showed what happened to Doctor, Garibaldi, et al. The third goodbye was the original Season 4 finale, moved to the series finale once they were picked up for the fifth season, where Sheridan dies 20 years after surviving Z'ha'dum. That's three hours of goodbyes! Sheesh. I was moved. It was stirring. But, it was long. I always appreciated the end of Babylon 5 episodes because they really put a period on the story. They always had one last scene that made things clear or showed the result of the story. I liked that. So, I can't begrudge them a long goodbye. I wish, for their sake and mine, that there hadn't been so much uncertainty related to the production and the actors. I would have liked to see the 5 year story without adjustments. Its still thought of as a five year story - and maybe it could have been. But, to me, its a four year story. (Of course I'm not bothering to rewatch the season 5 episodes - I'll leave them for another snow season.) I thought the acting was superb by everyone involved, but particularly by the actors portraying Ivanova, G'Kar, and Mollari. And it was a good story. It fit in perfectly for the last couple weeks of lots of snow, days off, and nothing else on TV that looked very good.

No comments: