Wednesday, November 5, 2008

California's Proposition 8

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_10908172

This makes no sense:

"Government did not create marriage, and neither politicians nor legislators have the right to redefine its basic meaning," said Brian Brown, executive director of the National Organization for Marriage California."

If government did not create marriage and has no right to define it, then why should the government mention marriage at all? Why is it now part of the California constitution?

"Common sense, and concern for the common good, trumped ideology, bigotry and power politics here in California," Brown said in a statement. "

Are you kidding? Bigotry? It seems to me that the people who are trying to limit the definition of marriage are the ones who are bigoted. And scared. What's wrong with those people? I don't get it.

*****

My perspective is that marriage shouldn't even be a legal status for anyone. If you want to get married, its a church thing. The church can have any rule they want. If you want a legal union then you get a civil union. A civil union can comprise any kind of family relationship. It doesn't have any religious significance so it can be a man and a woman or a man and a man or a woman and a woman.

Frankly, I'm not the marrying kind so I don't know why anyone wants to get married - but if it has meaning for people, they should be able to do it. I understand that most people like the idea of being married.

Anyway - I feel bad for gays and lesbians.
I live in Oregon and sadly we made a law about this in 2006. I voted no.

No comments: