Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Before the Senate votes

Before the Senate vote...

I haven't spent as much time trying to understand this Senate bill because I didn't have time.
But, its being added to a 'tax extender' bill which I don't normally like. I mean, this should be a stand alone bill. I don't understand why they have to do it this way.
I understand there are 'sweeteners' to get House Republicans to vote for it, but I think - completely on the face of it - that some of these 'tax extenders' are too much. Somebody is giving away the store just to get the money into the system.

I know that some of the changes are tax breaks for business and alternative energy/research and development, an adjustment to the Alternate Minimum Tax, change the limits of the FDIC insurance for a year, and disaster recovery.
But, I think there's more.

Proponents of the bill cite anecdotal evidence of people who want to buy a house or a car or get a loan to expand their business but can't get a loan. This is intended to prove that the credit system is broken, needs immediate attention, and does affect average Americans.

I think its the wrong 'evidence' and they do a disservice to the problem. People can wait a couple months to get a new car, a new house, or a expand their business.
However, a review of the way people in different industries do business would be a benefit. I've heard people talking (Washington Journal call in portion) about cash business as the only 'responsible' way to do business. But, that's not the way a lot of businesses run. Farming, retail, stuff like that. Seems like they do business on credit a lot. And its accepted.
Also, what about state and local governments. We should have a refresher course on how they get revenue. I understand my state is saying they expect repercussions of this problem for a while down the road.

Anyway - I'm still for the bill because I think we need it. But I'm wary of the extra parts they've added to the bill that might not have anything to do with the current financial crisis.

Seante Revisisions
Icreasese FDC limits from 100 K per account to 250K
extend certain expiritng tax cuts
limit executive compensation
et al

No comments: