Sunday, September 21, 2008

CERN

And now, the superconducting, super collider. I understand its down for repairs for awhile.

But, I have some thoughts about this.

1. If you're a scientist that thinks this will create a black hole that will destroy the Earth, aren't you going to be doing everything you can to stop them from completing the project? If I truly thought it would end the world, I mean, that would make me crazy trying to tell them to stop.
2. That's what a lot of action movies are about...trying to stop people from doing things you think or know will end the world. Think Terminator. Is there a real life action movie happening right now?
3. What if the world really were sucked up into a black hole of our own making?
4. I think its great that we're doing all this research and stuff, but we're getting into scientific ideas that could change/damage/eliminate the world permanently if our hypothesis is wrong. Think Nuclear Bombs.
5. I don't know what the alternative is because its important to research. But, I hope someone is taking note of the cries from scientists who think this is a bad idea and addressing some of their concerns. 'Cause if those guys are right, well, its not like they'd be able to say "I told you so."
6. I'm reminded of stories in Star Trek where someone in the crew is convinced they're going to die if an action is taken. The captain thinks about it and then decides to do it anyway. So, the crew person turns back to their station and off they go. But, really, if you thought you were going to die if the captain turns right instead of left or something, wouldn't you go crazy trying to convince him not to? I'd be kicking and screaming.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=15&entry_id=30262
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jCqnqRP6YAgUhtibUBZ3qqUI2GrwD93B8MNO0

No comments: